About Me

My photo
This blog is named after one of my poems. Even thought its not the best of the lot, I just fell in love with those words- The Psyche Unknown...

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My Grandfather's old room...

Another one of my stress busters during 12th!I know, I know-pathetic usage of words and some in the wrong places too but... you must have realized by now- I'd just leave those mistakes to remain there.. It would be an insult to that 12th grade girl struggling with her exams if I make any changes..
june 9, 2008

i was proud to enter my grandfather's room just before my exams. it was officially
handed over to me as my room. it had 10 windows!!!!! i was extremely happy
about my new possession. but little did i know that the troubles would just begin.
i live in an area where houses were built very closely. the area was quite old,
with almost all houses built before 1970's. this is one reason that my mornings turn upside down..
every time i had to get up, i didn't need an alarm, the neighbourhood dog
was sufficient.its consistent barking would make my hair stand up...,not in fright
but in anger.the dog always wanting to get out of the clutches of his/her(i failed to recognise its gender-for convenience sake i think 'it' would suffice; with meaning no offence to the dog) master & the master never letting it go out.day in & day out there was only one noise and one phrase i
could hear-The unbounded barking of the dog at its master & the riff-raff
"CAESU... WAA... INGE....." from the master. I was flabberghasted at the constant battle
between the shrill crys of the mistress & the narrow squeaks of the dumb dog.
at times i could not make out whom the lady was calling....sometimes
she said "cheeju", sometimes "seeju" & many times the son of hers would
answer the call. it was a challenge for me to know as to why this guy answered
the call for the dog. lately(probably too late)i found that the dog was called
Caesar & the son was called seenu ,short for his long name. the 2 sounds mixed
up so well that one couldn't guess if the dog or the son was being called. one thing
is sure if Shakespeare was here ,he would definitely be upset seeing that his
wonderful character's name was used to name such a haunting creature.
you may wonder ,why i was giving so much importance to that dog & its
trainer. what more can i do if the squeaks of the dog & the cries of the lady pull
me out of my books even though the windows and the doors were closed.....
even to this day i have to get up by listening to the barks of the dog or
the incessant chattering of the lady with her associates about why she couldn't
sleep last night or the guffawing of the son over his mobile.........
slowly mera jeena haram ho gaya hai. i am no longer proud to be the
owner of my grandfather's room .
will u beleive?????????? i still hear the dog barking & the mistress comes
down the stairs ceasu....... waa inge........
the saga will continue untill they are alive ,,,,no doubt about that......
swathi
14/6/2005

No comments: